Thursday, May 24, 2012

In Good Company

The summer squash that I've been cultivating in my nice warm office are three...or four? weeks old (oh garden journal, will you ever be recovered from the burning wreckage of my hard drive?), and growing in leaps and bounds.  I guess that's what happens when your first food is a big, delicious squash seed!  The cukes are more moderate, but equally attractive in their development:

Foreground: Cavili and Patio Star squashlets.  Hidden in the middle: Boothby's Blonde cukes.  Background: Sunburst patty pans and a couple more Cavilis.
Since they all sprouted and seem to be thriving, I've been frantically canvassing my coworkers to find good homes for about half of them.  My capacity for baby summer squash is doubled by the fact that I enjoy them raw (especially grated as a replacement for cold pasta salads) as well as grilled, steamed, souped, and roasted; however, my sweetheart does not.  So.  If all else fails, I think I'll grow my extras in 5-gal buckets out front by the sidewalk (one of the sunnier parts of the yard anyway) with "Harvest Me" signs on 'em. 

Naturally, now that the rangy Sunbursts have two sets of true leaves and are rooting up out of their peat pots in search of soil, the weather has switched from last week's sun to driving rain and temps below 60 F.  Sigh.  Hang tight, little patty pans!  Hopefully the weekend will dry out your little bed!

No comments:

Post a Comment